Kuyili- The First Female Freedom Fighter Against Britishers
Nearly about a 77 years ago the first war of Independence in 1857 against the British, in the deep south the roaring lioness Velu Nachiyar of Shiv Ganga, stood against the British to avenge her husband’s death and to rescue her nation in 1780.
Marudhu Pandiyars & Hyder Ali stood by Queen Velu Nachiyar. They had brave warriors but their drawback was old weaponry. They did not have guns and cannons. Britishers had superior modern weaponry. Brave army of Velu Nachiyar didn’t not have any answer to the British guns. The gun that could kill hundreds of men before they could reach the fort. Their brave heart could stand against death but Nachiyar was well aware of the practicality of facing the gun with empty hands.
One of commanders of Queen Velu Nachiyars’ army was Kuyili. She came up with daredevil plan. She promised that the British will not have guns in the war against Shivganga even if it costs her life.
British stored the ammunition in the temple and allowed only women to enter for worship. On the Vijayadhasami day, Kuyili, entered the temple along with her few chosen women warriors. Each of them carried a lamp full of oil pretending to light lamp as an offering to the God.
Once inside the temple, all women poured the oil on Kuyili. Kuyili lit herself as the offering for nation and walked into a British storehouse of ammunition, exploding it. Kuyili is the first human bomb in India against the British. Her brave act paved the way for Nachiyar’s victory. Velu Nachiyar was the first woman to fight the British and defeat them.
Sadly most of us do not know this history as we the history which was but only what British historians has recorded.
It is time we read our true history and praise this brave woman who gave her life for us.
List of related posts of Hindu warriors’ bravery:
- Maharani Durgavati-Saffron Swords by Manoshi Sinha
- Brave Kuyili sacrificed herself life to win over Britishers 1780
- Queen of Ullal- Braveheart Abbakka Chowta
- Queen Hadi Rani who sacrificed herself for Rajput Honour
- Kiran Devi with her dagger on Akbar’s throat
- Story of Brave Lady Onake Obavva
- A Tale of Bravery and Chivalry : Rajputs
- Maharaja Chhatrasal Bundela- Victor of 52 glorious wars
- Overview of Brave resistance of Hindus against Islamic jihad in Kerala
- Braveheart Prataprao Gurjar – Battle of Salher, 24 February 1672
- Jaimal Rathore of Badnor and Patta of Kelwa
- Maharaja Yashwantrao Holkar who defeated British every time
- Dharmveer Sambhaji Raje-The Braveheart behind downfall of Mughals
- King Sambhaji Raje & Knight Williams Wallace- Two warriors, similar life
- Tanaji Malusare -Short Background of the Famous Singhgadh Fort War
- Freedom fighters Periya Marudhu and Chinna Marudhu
- The 27 Years Maratha War(1681 to 1707A.D.) which saved Hinduism
- Battle of Kamrupa-King Prithu annihilated and Bakhtiyar Khilji finally
- King Suheldev routed out 10 lac strong army of Invader Salar Masood
- Sardar Jasaa Singh Ahluwalia- Abdali’s Nightmare
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?
Dibhu.com is committed for quality content on Hinduism and Divya Bhumi Bharat. If you like our efforts please continue visiting and supporting us more often.😀
Tip us if you find our content helpful,
Companies, individuals, and direct publishers can place their ads here at reasonable rates for months, quarters, or email@example.com