Sharad Purnima: Kojagaari Purnima
Kojagaari Purnima/ Kojagaari : Ko Jagrati ( Who is awake) Purnima is also known as Sharad Purnima. This is a big festival in Maharashtra and Gujarat. In North India it is mainly known as Sharad Purnima.
It is believed that goddess Lakshmi visits the houses of people today and asking “ko jagrati- who is awake?”…. And she blesses those who are awake today. So people keep awake by doing various things like playing cards or games at night, Gujaratis play garba today. Also they keep sweet dishes like kheer (milk, rice and dry fruits) as an offering to Goddess Lakshmi. The second day is also supposed to be the birthday of Goddess Lakshmi.
The Legends about this festival:
- It is a harvest festival celebrated on the full moon day of the Hindu lunar month of Ashwin.
- It marks the end of monsoon
- This is supposed to be day the when Goddess of wealth Lakshmi appeared on earth.
- It is believed that the moon rays have certain healing properties of nourishing the body and the soul.
- This is day of Maharaas. Lord Krishna played Mahras with gopis in Vrindavan on this day. Gujaratis celebrate Garba on this day to celebrate the occasion.
- In some regions of the Mithila area, Goddess Kali is also worshiped. The Kali pooja begins on this day and continues for a fortnight and ends on the night of Diwali with Kaal ratri Puja.
- People keep Kheer(Made of rice & milk ) on their roofs in moonlight and consume it afterwards. It is supposed to cure illnesses and improve health in general.
- People keep awake at night by playing games, cards, songs etc.
Dibhu.com-Divya Bhuvan is committed for quality content on Hindutva and Divya Bhumi Bharat. If you like our efforts please continue visiting and supportting us more often.😀
1.Sharad Purnima in Year 2021 - 19 October 2022,Tuesday (Tithi Timings-7.02pm on 19 October 2021 to 8.25pm on 20 October 2021) (मंगलवार १९.१०.२१-७.०२ सायं से, बुधवार २०.१०.२१ -८.२५ सायं तक ) 2.Sharad Purnima in Year 2022 - 24 October 2018 3.Sharad Purnima in Year 2022 - 9 October 2022, Sunday
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?